Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Picked my dog up from the groomers and they accidentally…

Customer Question
Picked my dog up...

Picked my dog up from the groomers and they accidentally nicked her tongue, which I have put sugar on to try and stop the bleeding, which only works for a few mins. then it starts bleeding again. any help would be appreciated

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Nope she is very healthy, this is the first time that this has happened

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. Oh my, I am sure they feel terrible about this. Is it actively bleeding or just a little oozing, like when you have bitten your tongue?

it stops occasionally, so i give her a fudgesicle to lick to try and help. but the bleeding starts back up, but it does stop completely with sugar or fudgesicile

If it isn't actively bleeding(spurting) it will probably stop on its own. How many hours has it been bleeding?

I wouldn't be giving her anything by mouth for a couple hours after it stops bleeding. Let the body form a clot that will stick. Every time she moves her tongue around it disrupts the clot and starts bleeding again.

How is it going?