Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 year old 13 lbs dachshund got into the trash last night…

Customer Question
My 7 year old...

My 7 year old 13 lbs dachshund got into the trash last night where she got into tampons. I don't think she ate a whole one due to pieces of cotton so I assume she shredded them but she also ate a gigerbread cookie and a large rice crispy treat and her belly is hard

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Lily

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns. I'm sorry to hear that your girl Lily got into all sorts of things last night in the trash.

1. Is she wanting to eat this morning?
  2. Is she drinking normally?
  3. Any retching or vomiting?
  4. Normal stool production?
  5. Is she lethargic?
  6. Is her abdomen painful and tense or is it just looking really full?
  7. Does she normally get lots of table food?
  8. Any long term health issues?
She's eating and drinking fine.
No vomiting
She pooped a very small skinny bit this morning but since then she hasn't pooped.
Not lethargic
Her belly is hard and when you press on it she doesn't like it
No longe term health issues but I did give her pumpkin to try and help. I'm not sure if she just over ate trash and food she found last night or what

Tampons are super absorbent and tend to expand quite a bit in the juices of the gastrointestinal system. Even shredded pieces could lead to an obstruction, especially in such a small dog.

The other things she ate, the cookie and rice crispy treat, are very high in sugar and simple carbohydrates. That can lead to diarrhea. Unfortunately they are low in fiber, and ideally we need dogs that eat foreign material to eat lots of fiber to get things to pass. But because she ate a lot she has what is known as food bloat, distention of the gastrointestinal tract due to overeating. In those dogs we try to hold off on feeding so as to rest the gut. So we are really in a hard place with her.

Give me a few moments to type up some thoughts on how to proceed.

We need to make sure that she takes in enough fluids to keep the ingests soft and able to move through her gastrointestinal tract rather than getting too dry leading to an impaction. Offer small amounts frequently of fresh water, ice cubes to lick, and warmed low salt chicken or beef broth to drink.

We also need to make sure that she isn't overly active which can lead to swallowing air or painful intestinal cramping. Slow walks are fine to keep things moving, but running and overly rambunctious play should not be allowed.

I would not feed her much for a good 12-24 hours. Her stomach should look almost normal before she is fed more regular meals again. When you feed her today, feed her roughly 1/4 the amount you normally would twice daily. Add 1-2 teaspoons of pumpkin to each meal for fiber to push things though and to keep the moisture content in her ingesta up. Slowly increase meal size back to normal over the next few days.

You can expect that she will most likely have some diarrhea, but that should clear up on its own over the next 48 to 72 hours.

If she attempting to vomit but unable to do so, her belly looks even more distended and very tight, or she won't lay down and settle, or she is pawing at her mouth or staggering, then I recommend he see a veterinarian immediately as these can be signs of an obstruction.

As long as she remains bright and happy, takes in plenty of fluids and is passing stool, and has an appetite when she is fed then she should return to normal over the next few days.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian