Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My boxer has a growth back of leg, vet has sent a small

analysis to lab and not...
my boxer has a growth back of leg, vet has sent a small analysis to lab and not malignant. They say it is a mesenchymal proliferation. Wants me to take it off but boxers are prone to mumps and bumps. He is 9 and has a heart murmur (very slight one). Dont want to put him under anaesthetic and operation if not necessary.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I would be happy to help you.

Can you get me the name of the mass?

My wife is a double-board certified veterinary pathologist and I would like to consult her also :)

Paul

Hi there, thanks for your help. I was given Mesenchymal proliferation/neoplasia.

10-4

Give me a minute

Paul

thank you.

How long has lump been there?

How fast has it been growing?

Paul

the lump has just come out, less than a month. does not seem to bother him or even impede in his movements in any way. the lab came back on it being benign which is why I wonder if it is necessary to operate.

And any history of trauma, infection at that site?

it has got tot he size of a small ping pong ball and is not growing.no history of trauma on that leg. He did his cruxiate on the other leg
it is a hard mass just behind his knee.

Okay here are our thoughts:

These can be very tough to diagnose accurately even on histopathology.

The trouble is that normal cells called fibroblasts can look "ugly" when they are busy repairing tissues.

And bad cells can look not so bad

Hence the dilemna.

If it is a spindle cell tumor and we leave it then it may get so big that complete removal will not be possible and thus it will always recur (never get rid of it)

But getting it out now will mean it is curative AND the whole mass needs to be graded so they can know for sure what they are dealing with

Bottom line: Have it removed. And you dont want to argue with my wife LOL

She is only one of 65 doubled-boarded vet pathologists in the world- so I trust her judgement here

Okay?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Thank you Dr to you and your wife

Very welcome from the Brazzell's :)

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian