Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

3rd roundnof giardia and vomiting and diarrhea. 3 rounds of…

Customer Question
3rd roundnof giardia and...

3rd roundnof giardia and vomiting and diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

3 rounds of panacure and Metrazone? Oral tabs for 10 days

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Not that we know of, but we have 3 dogs total. 2 puppies and 1 senior

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

The French bulldog puppy is also a poop eater!!! I’m thinking he keeps reinfecting himself.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that has been assigned to your question. I understand your dog is having a chronic issue with diarrhea secondary to giardia. Has the veterinarian performed recheck fecal exams to see if there are actual giardia cysts in the feces since starting treatment?

he has tested positive 3 times in the last 2.5 months. I am not sure if they are checking for cysts?

Thank you. I am typing my response now.

Reinfection is the most common reason for a dog to have recurrent issues with giardia. If you can successfully ensure that reinfection is not happening then a different approach to treatment can be given. However, if it is possible he is still reinfecting himself then it is difficult to use these other strategies. One way to prevent reinfection is to use a specific area of the yard for defecation only. That way the giardia cysts are not being spread around to other areas. Also, the rectum and perineum region should be wiped off with a towel after each defecation to make sure there is no residue that he could lick. If this can be done well then that would remove the possibility of reinfection.

The other thing to keep in mind is that giardia is tested with an antibody as well as looked at under a microscope. If he is only testing positive for the antibody and no cysts are being observed then he may not actually have giardia and this loose stool could be caused by something else such as a food intolerance or allergy. That would be important to find out.

If you are able to prevent reinfection and he is still testing positive for giardia cysts then treatment is usually stopped since he did not respond well to Metronidazole or Panacur. Typically dogs will develop an immunity over time to the giardia organism. In rare cases it is just impossible to clear the infection for some reason. That is not common, so every effort to resolve the issue should be pursued. The course of treatment is usually either 5 days of Panacur or 7-10 days of Metronidazole.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!