Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog are half of a bravecto table that was ment for my…

Customer Question
Hello my dog are half...
Hello my dog are half of a bravecto table that was ment for my other much larger dog.
So what happened one of my dogs who weighs 7kg he ate half a bravecto tablet witch was ment for a dog weighing 40-56 kg. So his eaten 600mg. When his only ment to have 250mg. Should I go to a vet to induce vomiting
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

How long ago did this happen?

About a hour

I see.

I am sorry to hear this has happened.

He has gotten about a 4X overdose. At this dosing some dogs can have GI upset: vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes bloody stool. Many of the dogs in the study given this dosing also had no abnormal signs.

It is not a life threatening dose. Your options are to monitor and watch for any signs (none may appear) or induce vomiting now.

You can induce vomiting by giving 2 teaspoons of 3% over the counter hydrogen peroxide orally. If there is no vomiting in 10 minutes, give another dose.

Typically if they will have any GI upset, it will happen within about 4-6 hours after ingestion. If they vomit it up within about 2 hours, usually there is no drug remaining.

Thanks for that yeah it sucks so it's not life threatening how long will symptoms last. If he starts vomiting or bloody stools what should I do

If he starts vomiting, it should resolve with time. I would hold on food for 12 hours, then give a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. You can do this as well if there is any diarrhea. If there is a drop or two of blood in the stool, continue with bland diet. If the stool becomes very red and bloody, he will likely need to be seen by a veterinarian for further medication.

Yeah righto cool. So should I take him to the vet if he stars vomiting and diarrhoea starts or just monitor

I would probably take him to the vet if there is more than one vomiting episode, or if diarrhea starts. That way they can treat right away. It ends up costing less and treatment takes less time if it is started early (if needed at all).

I wish you both the best. Hopefully your little pup does great and has no issue.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Maybe I should of taken already to the vet do you think I've done the wrong thing by not taking him straight away

It is up to you. The drug has been studied at up to 5X overdoses with minimal side effects besides GI upset. Generally it is more an issue of cost for people. If you are worried and have the finances to see the vet, I would have them induce vomiting. It is about comfort level: are you comfortable with monitoring to see if anything happens or do you just want them to induce vomiting so you don't have to worry about it? That is a personal decision.

Yeah fair enough. It happened nearly 2 hours ago so might be a bit late plus I don't have any peroxide

You probably are a bit late at this point. You can give some famotidine (5mg every 12 hours), omeprazole (10mg every 24 hours) for about a day or two to help with any potential upset stomach. You should be able to get these without prescription.

Yeah I have omeprozole I take it for heartburn should I give him a little bit now

I would give some now.

I would give another dose in 24 hours.

just the stuff I take for my heartburn I have it in the cupboard.

Yes. I would give that now and give your dog some time. Giving the omeprazole should really reduce the risk of any GI upset.

Ok cool I gave it to him. I hope he will be ok

He should be fine. Maybe a little upset tummy, but he is in no major danger. Just let him rest for the day and give him a bland diet for today. He may be a little quiet, but that is not an issue.

Ok sweet

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. I wish you and your boy the best. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian