Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Mini poodle is walking out of balance. Out of character.

Customer Question
Hi, mini poodle is walking...
Hi, mini poodle is walking out of balance. Out of character. Seems to be the right side but does not seem to be in pain. He is 6years old.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Did my message get through?
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

What you may be seeing is vestibular disease. This will have a dog walk to one side or seem off balance. Sometimes there is a head tilt and sometimes the eyes dart from side to side out of control.

Vestibular is cased by a miscommunication between the inner ear and the brain. Usually this is do to an inner ear problem such as an infection, and sometimes when dogs reach old age, it is idiopathic.

Another possibility , given the breed is that there is a problem with one of the discs in the spine. This will have a dog walk sometimes with a stagger.

I would make an appointment with your Vet for a hands on exam because if there is an infection in the ear then meds such as antibiotic drops will be required and if it is a disc issue, then anti inflammatory and pain meds will be needed.

Here is more on vestibular disease:

http://http://www.petplace.com/dogs/vestibular-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Here is more on IVDD (disc disease)

Lower spine https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/

If it is due to back pain, you can try giving an aspirin and see if that helps. Here is dosing for aspirin . Only give if he is not on other anti inflammatory medication .Do not give Tylenol, acetaminophen or ibuprofen products. Give aspirin with food.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant