Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has no appetite... drank water earlier in the day but…

Customer Question
My dog has no...

My dog has no appetite... drank water earlier in the day but then when it came to him peeing, he wouldn’t walk very far Few hours later he won’t eat drink or even stand up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No He actually just peed on himself

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Sammi And he will be a year old next month

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Dog is shaking now and keeps smacking mouth
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

No change in food.
No new toys.
Nothing has changed.
He got to where he couldn’t walk or stay awake. He also lost control of his bowels
Then ran a low temp of 96
Today- all his labs normal. Been giving fluids. He ate a little bit. But still has no control over his GI, can’t walk still, and black tarry stools now

Did they perform any diagnostics aside from the bloodwork? Do you have a copy of the bloodwork to share? What medication, if any, is he on?

I’ll see if I can get a copy of the papers. They didn’t do any other tests that i am aware of. He isn’t on any medications

A fecal analysis would be wise since he's passing tarry stool, which is often digested blood. The lack of appetite and smacking of his mouth suggests he's nauseated. I would recommend that you administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

Your vet should hear from you again tomorrow about the stool you're seeing. I would discuss a fecal examination and starting some additional medications such as cerenia, sucralfate and metronidazole (anti-nausea, gastric protectant and antibiotics, respectively). If he worsens, he needs to be examined at the ER tonight. I am very concerned about the lack of ability to walk, as well, which may have to do with the profound lethargy you're seeing or may be something else. Your vet may also wish to take x-rays, as well, to determine if there is a separate cause for this.

Checking in. How is Sammi doing today?

I saw him today. He looks much better. But he still can’t control his urine. Also he can’t seem to walk and if he does his back is arched and it lasts maybe 5 sec before he falls down. When I held him, he would what seemed like he couldn’t keep his head up and he would just be lying in my arms and his head facing the ceilingLabs and everything are normal. They think a toxin. I figured by now a toxin should have left his system He got sick Sunday and still has al these neural problems it seems
I thot about a stroke When I watched the videos of dogs having one, he seemed to fit them just perfectly except he was projectile vomiting and had black tarry stools

I am very concerned about the fact that he cannot control his urine, he's falling and his back is hunched. This is suspect for pain in the back, but could be related to the GI concern. Did he have any x-rays performed?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse