Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my 130 pound Rottweiler may have ingested a 20 mg…

Customer Question
I think my 130...

I think my 130 pound Rottweiler may have ingested a 20 mg oxycontin tablet. I did not see him eat it but it was on my dresser and now it is gone. I can't find it anywhere. I have given him one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and he has not thrown up yet. I am scared to death.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No. He has no other health issues. I am just so scared. He is the love of my

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Exclamation this is ridiculous!This is extremely ridiculous! It is taking me 10 minutes to type in information because you guys want money from me. And you're asking me to wait 10 more minutes while my dog maybe overdosing.
No I am not in any more money! I want an answer I paid my money and I want to know what I need to do for my dog right now

Please stand by, I am busy working out the possible toxicity and typing out your answer right now.

You will have my answer in a few more minutes

I can see why people are very unhappy with this site! They ask me for my credit card for a $5 fee for a doctor to answer my question and instead they charged me $5 and then another $14 on top of it. Not aware of! Now while I'm waiting for someone to figure this out,
I have had dogs my entire life and it has never taken a vet this long to figure anything out. I want an answer now

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I would not worry about this too much, Oxycontin is sometimes prescribed for dogs and where it is the dose rate would be up to 0.2 mg per pound of the dog's body weight. Since your dog weighs 130 pounds { A very large dog } then the top dose for him would be 26 mg.

2. Since the 20 mg he may have ingested is well within the above regular dose range then adverse side effects will not be expected. Your dog should be just fine.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Since I gave him the hydrogen peroxide to try to induce vomiting and he did not vomit, is that going to hurt him?
Hello????????? Are you going to answer me?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Please don't worry on that score, hydrogen peroxide is a very safe method of inducing vomiting, but even if vomiting does not occur then your dog will not be in any danger.

2. The chances are your dog will be just fine.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Rottweiler is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Oxycontin tablet incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things went.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?