Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

4 month old Standard poodle we have had for a week.

Customer Question
4 month old Standard...

4 month old Standard poodle we have had for a week. Lethargic, drooling quite a bit

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the standard poodle. What is the standard poodle's name?

Porter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Porter?

I think that’s it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner and I am not sure if you still need help with this.

How is Porter feeling today?

Has there been any change in diet since this started?

Is he still eating and drinking?

Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

Thank you, ***** ***** better today. He ate this morning and drank. The only change was a different type of Bully stick that we are discontinuing for now. He vomited early yesterday but was during a car trip so we figure it was car sickness.

I am glad to hear he is feeling better. Sometimes these types of products have salmonella on them and that would have been a concern. You will find products like this, pig ears, cow hoofs, pig snouts ,etc. are often recalled due to salmonella.

Some dogs just have very sensitive stomachs as well and cannot tolerate certain foods or change in diet.

Usually when we see stomach upset and vomiting or diarrhea, we fast the dog for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. This helps soothe the intestinal tract and belly:)