Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My labradoodle has been gagging for a while. Finally threw…

Customer Question
My labradoodle has been gagging...
My labradoodle has been gagging for a while. Finally threw up his food and bake. Now he is walking around and licking the floor. What should I Do?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 4 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience.

When you say he has been doing this for a while, are you talking about just today or for several days or even longer?

Any other issues (diarrhea, shivering/trembling, disoriented, etc)?

Is he on any medication right now?

About 2 hours. Gagging about an hour and a half, went for his walk during this time. Normal walk. Came back he was sleeping but still gagging. Threw up about 30 min ago. Started walking around like crazy and licking floor. He has been trying to eat stuffing out of toys.
He is now lying down chewing a bone like crazy
No meds. No other issues
He normally is sleeping at this time

The licking of the floor is a sign of nausea. Since he seems to have a good appetite and is not continuously vomiting, then my best recommendation would be to monitor. If he has more than one or two vomits overnight, then you need to have him seen by his veterinarian tomorrow. If he develops profuse, nonstop vomiting (especially if bloody) overnight then you may have to take him to an emergency clinic.

I would not recommend to feed him anything further today but you can keep water available.

As far as cause, it is possible that he ate something that upset his system and needed to purge. Hopefully it is now over.

Ok. He is back to pacing
Just threw up again

This is concerning. In my book he's allowed 2 more vomits and then it becomes something that I would advocate having him seen tonight (at least to get an injection to help him stop vomiting).

Vomiting, unfortunately, is such a vague sign that could indicate anything from ingestion of an unusual item that upset the system to digestive tract foreign body (trapped in the digestive tract) to pancreatitis to organ issue to toxin exposure and the list continues. To try to narrow down the list requires a physical exam by a veterinarian and some testing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified