Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is coughing hard and coughing up white foamy flem. he has…

Customer Question
He is coughing hard...

He is coughing hard and coughing up white foamy flem . he has no been around anyother animals . eatting same food as always . and just started suddenly on friday night

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Ty and he os 5 .. Boxer

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Ty. - tyson

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No he has always beeb healthy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Ok thank you

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Tyson has this problem, hopefully this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where these sort of symptoms are sudden onset I would not be at all surprised if your dog is not suffering from an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound a bit like kennel cough. Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

As kennel cough would be a " front-runner " I will tell you what I know about it ...

2. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough/retch that these dogs have - a bit like a cat trying to shift a hairball or a seal honk.

3. The affected dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it may be productive, he will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough/retch which just keep happening.

4. If kennel cough is the diagnosis then it is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make him feel better very quickly. For this reason if symptoms continue my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnoses are always possible. In the meantime something like Robitussin-DM { Dextromethorphan } which you can buy over the counter may help with the symptoms, please follow this link for an accurate article on how this drug is used in dogs including dose rates. : LINK

5. If kennel cough turns out to be the diagnosis then there is unfortunately little you can do to make your dog more comfortable on a home remedy basis. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Tyson's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you ...

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

O have another boxer should she not be coughing if it was cennal cough ?
Kennel

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Well, the incubation period of Kennel cough is usually around a week, so it could well be that your other dog will develop this diseases. However even if this is kennel cough it does not follow as night follows day that the other dog will catch it, perhaps she may have some natural immunity, just have to wait and see.

2. If the second dog gets the same symptoms then this would go along way to clinch the diagnosis, but as I said before although what you have told me so far does sound very like kennel cough other diagnoses are possible, so if symptoms continue for Tyson or if he deteriorates in any way then have him checked over by your local vet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Ok .. I will watch her as well

Let's hope this is something very simple like kennel cough, but please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tyson is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect kennel cough ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott