Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our female Scottie/Poo has an area between the bottom

Customer Question
Our female Scottie/Poo has...

Our female Scottie/Poo has an area between the bottom portion of her tail and her butt that is raw and red. There is a small (about the size of a large BB) that is an actual sore that looks infected. She's been licking her tail lately but we've been keeping an eye on it and until this morning we have not noticed the redness or the sore. Is there anything I can put on it that would be safe for her since she's been licking so much down there?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

THANK YOU - Her name is ***** ***** she's 10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kenai?

Not sure there's a connection but she just finished up a 2 visit to our local vet for an ear (yeast) infection. But that's been just over a month now.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Kenau today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

From what you are describing, I am suspicious that she may have an impacted/infected or even ruptured anal gland. The anal glands are two sacs under the skin around the rectum at about the 4 and 8 o'clock position. If one becomes swollen, it can look red and inflammed and may even rupture open to the surface and bleed. It can seem to occur overnight. If that is the case, she will need to be treated by your vet for the infection and the discomfort. Here is a link with more information LINK HERE

In the meantime, what will most likely offer the most relief is warm water/epsom salt compresses applied to the area. Anything you apply topically will likely be licked off. It is best to try to not allow her to lick the area or scoot.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Hi Susan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian