Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Second opinion] Can I give human Penicillin VK 500 mg to my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Can I give...
Second opinion] Can I give human Penicillin VK 500 mg to my dog that weighs 60-65 pounds. Believe she has a UTI. Don't have the funds currently to bring her into the vet.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

Oral Penicillin VK can be given to dogs although injectable penicillin is usually more effective. The dose, however, for a dog this size would be 500 mg three times a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

Another option which you might consider would be fish antibiotics which can be purchased over the counter (or online) which don't require a prescription. These drugs are exactly the same ones that a human or vet would prescribe.

1. Amoxicillin is frequently prescribed for dogs with a uti and may be a better option than Penicillin VK.

http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.php/fish-mox-forte-amoxicillin.html

The dose for a dog this size would be 1000mg (two of the 500 mg pills) twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

OR

2. Cephalexin is another good choice with the dosage amount 1000 mg twice a day (two of the 500 mg capsules). https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fish-Flex-Forte-500-Mg-Cephalexin-100-Count/195511919

I tend to treat my patients with uti's for 2 weeks.

I hope this helps, Deb

Hi Janice,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian