Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hiya my 12.5 yr old dog as started losing blood from her…

Customer Question
Hiya my 12.5 yr...

Hiya my 12.5 yr old dog as started losing blood from her vagina she's licking it away all the time. She is drinking and peeing a lot and will only eat out of my hands. She's still walking and running about. Not long come off antibiotics for an ear infection and she's on daily steroids for cauliflower ears. She's not spayed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

She has no wounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Ellie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?

No she's been very well up until now. I do have her in the vets for Tuesday. She was only at the vets a few weeks ago having a check up her heart and everything was fine. She's gone like this just after finishing her course of antibiotic for her ear

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry that Ellie is having this issue going on. I'm going to be very honest and say that the number one suspicion that I have is an infection in her uterus called a pyometra. You've described almost all the classic signs to a T. She is having the bloody discharge from her vagina. She is intact. She is actually drinking more water. She isn't eating well. These are all just very classic for a pyometra. Some can have a closed pyometra where the discharge never comes out due to the cervix being closed. IF the cervix is open, the discharge comes out. IF she has a pyometra, she needs a surgery to remove her infected uterus. Here is a great link on this.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=603

I wish I could say something to do at home, but this requires your vet to do that surgery. I would get her to your vet as soon as possible for her evaluation and most likely this surgery.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

I'm very worried about how Ellie is doing. If you could, could you let me know what your vet found with her?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian