Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate several Halloween chocolate bars. He’s been vomiting…

Customer Question
He ate several Halloween...

He ate several Halloween chocolate bars. He’s been vomiting every few hours for the past 24hrs. He’s drinking water. He’s making urine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Carter and he’s 10. He can’t digest that as he’s throwing up. What’s the issue with respect to chocoLate and dogs. He’s supposed to be on antibiotics for a bladder infection but I’m holding food and meds until he’s better. He’s seeing his Vet in the morning i guess I’m wondering if he needs to be seen today urgently or not thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sure Carter feels you are doing your best. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Carter?

He has a hx of getting pancreatitis

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Charlie isn't feeling well after his chocolate indulgence.

When did he eat the chocolate bars?

Do you know how much he ate (how many snack size bars he may have gotten)?

How much does he weigh?

He ate so many. When he vomits the wrapper and bar comes out. It could have been more then 30 Little bars. He’s 30 lbs

Ok, thank you for that information.

You mention he's been vomiting for 24hrs, when did he eat the chocolates?

Friday night

Give the amount of chocolate he consumed, for his weight, his persistent vomiting and his history of pancreatitis, I recommend that you take him for urgent care today.

The toxic effects of chocolate in dogs can range from vomiting and diarrhea to heart arrhythmias, seizures and even death.

Chocolate is also very high in fat and he may have triggered another episode of pancreatitis.

Charlie will benefit from and evaluation of his condition, heart rate, as well as a screening for pancreatitis.

He will likely need medications for his nausea and fluids for his dehydration.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Hi, it's Dr. Denise. Just checking in on Charlie to see how he is doing.

Were you able to take him in for care? How is he feeling today?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian