Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

15 year old male Chihuahua that is practically skin and

Customer Question
15 year old male...

15 year old male Chihuahua that is practically skin and bones, but eats very well and drinks a lot of water. At this rate he will eventually die from cardiac arrest as his weight loss is extreme.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Pikachu after the pokemon character I've checked him for fleas and no indication that he has them I've given him baths quite often I considering that he might have kidney problems

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Well, I haven't been treating him for fleas at all. Just bathing him more often and looking for dead fleas in the water. There are no dead fleas. Ok

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your Chihuahua has lost so much weight.

If he is losing weight, but eating and drinking very well, he may be diabetic.

I would consider having his urine or blood tested for high blood sugar or the presence of sugar in his urine.

Ok. I'll try to get him into an appointment. If he is diabetic, what would typical treatment look like?
Would I have to administer insulin?

Yes, if he is diabetic, he will need insulin.

Please let me know how he is doing and if my answer is helpful.

I did not hear back from you; how is Pikachu doing?

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if you have other questions.

I made an appointment to take him in and get a checkup. I'll know more on Saturday.

Thanks for the update.

Please let me know if my answer was helpful; kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you. You can always get back to me with updates and questions by going to My Questions on the website. I hope he is doing better soon.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian