Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I feel as if this is my last resort I have seen the vets in…

Customer Question
Hi I feel as...

Hi I feel as if this is my last resort I have seen the vets in my area who have run blood work and did a skin scrape I was told my dog has severe allergies and I’ve tried apoquel with no results. She has lost all of her fur under he belly on on her bottom, her skin bleeds and is obviously very irritating as she licks and scratches all day. She looks absolutely miserable.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Medication for fleas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She has really bad yeast in her ears She is a three year old golden mixed with Irish setter

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Emma

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal l veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help.

Given the age and symptoms you describe, allergies is the most likey cause of your dogs problem, however, a number of allergic dogs have infections or other problems that go along with the allergies. Can you tell me if any tests have been done... has your veterinarian done any scrapings of the skin to check for mites, bacteria, or yeast. And have they prescribed any antibiotics or medications beyond the apoquel?