Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My miniature schau. is very anxious about groomers and the…

Customer Question
My miniature schau...

My miniature schau. is very anxious about groomers and the car. My vet said he could write a rx. for amitriptyline, I want to know if it is a good idea and do I have to go back to the vet for the rx. Can you give me the rx. because I spend 450.00 at this visit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Moxie, she will be two in April, in good health and I think her fear is from being transported to me by air. At any rate, she is otherwise great just anxious on occasion.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No she is good with the other things in life.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Sara. So, there are many anti-anxiety medications out there that we use in pets. Amitriptyline is more of a long term medication. If you are looking for more spot treaments I would recommend Alprazolam. This is an excellent medication for occasional use. Are you looking for more of a once in a while drug or a daily medication?

My son is a doctor, and feels she should have a long term fix. He does not like asprazaloam or Xanax.
Thank for your reply will you give me a rx. for the amitriptyline?
I do not want to spend more money and not get anything done.
Please let me know when I get a response. Thanks

i am speaking with another client, i will be right there

Hello, is your son a veterinarian? It sounds like there is a difference of opinion on the subject. Amitriptyline will give Moxie the effect she needs to manage through her anxiety. If she needs something on a regular basis, I would recommend fluoxetine. Amitryptiline is routinely used in cats for behavioral issues but not in dogs because it doesn't work as well as other medications. I think you will be disappointed with this choice. I cannot write you a script for medications because I am not her veterinarian.

I am sorry, it should read that Amitriptyline will not give the effect needed.

Thank this is not what I hoped?

I don't understand what you mean