Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog has dirrehea with some blood. He ate part of a

Customer Question
Dog has dirrehea with...

Dog has dirrehea with some blood. He ate part of a Gabapentin pills. Seems fine is hungry.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Samson almost 2 weights 64 pounds is a boxer

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Samson?

Almost 4 years sorry typo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Samson?

He ate it yesterday evening

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood are you seeing (spoonful, more or less)?

What color is the stool?

How many hours ago did he have the Gabapentin? How many milligrams?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Less than a spoon full. Gums pink kinda sticky I guess. Stool is brown. Doesn't seem like any pain.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to hear it was just a small amount and that Samson is otherwise comfortable. In that case, we'd be less worried about hemorrhagic diarrhea agents but more suspicious that his signs are due to a include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, colitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we'd want to start some supportive care at this stage. First, you can try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, if he is very loose, you can give Samson a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns but we'd not be worried about the Gabapentin at this point if it was yesterday he had this. Instead the above is more likely causing these signs. So, we’d want to start the above supportive now. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration,test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**