Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My staffy started on Friday by not walking on her back leg,

Customer Question
Hi my staffy started...

Hi my staffy started on Friday by not walking on her back leg, but since then she’s now dragging both her back legs and won’t walk with them.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Pit bull cross staffy

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes I saw she’s split her nail in half on her little one and I can see pink.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the bull's name and age?

4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bull's name?

Bella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

Not really she’s usually very active but is now very lethargic and is panting a lot. She’s not eating much since yesterday but drinking

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you. I am very concerned about Bella. These signs are consistent with neurologic dysfunction of the hind end caused by poor communication from the brain, down the spinal cord, and to the legs. Anything that puts pressure on the spinal cord in the back can cause these signs including tumors, intervertebral discs that leak their material into the spinal cord space (these are the cushions in between vertebrae), or "vascular events" in which blood clots or bleeds put pressure on the cord. If Bella has any dysfunction of her front legs too or seems mentally off at all, I would also be concerned about conditions in the neck or brain. These conditions can be progressive and the longer you wait for treatment the less likely she will walk again. ***I therefore STRONGLY urge you to get Bella to a veterinarian immediately.*** Based on the severity of her signs (they will do a neurological evaluation and look at things like reflexes and her sensation in her hind legs), they will be able to give you an idea of prognosis to walk again and the best treatment course. Please note that these conditions are often surgical, however, treatment with medications may help some dogs if surgery is not an option for you so I still recommend getting her to a vet ASAP. Please let me know if you have any questions, I know this is a lot of information to take in!