Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate chocolate Canibas. What do I do? Aspen 10

Customer Question
My dog ate chocolate...

My dog ate chocolate Canibas. What do I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Aspen 10 Siberian husky

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Aspen?

10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aspen?

About 53 lbs She couldn’t have eaten a lot

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What strength/milligrams cannibas was it?

How much chocolate (grams, ounces), and was it dark or milk?

How long ago did she eat this?

He may of only got a little bite of it. So not much at all. It was 180milligrams of thc. Or that’s how strong the whole bar is. But she only got a tiny piece, no bigger then my thumb
Gave her peroxide to make her throw up .. which she did twice ... didn’t really see any signs of chocolate in there

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that it was just a tiny piece as that carries low risk for Aspen's size. So, we may not see any issue at all but its possible we could see short term GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), lethargy/mild sedation, and wobbliness. But again if she had a small amount we won't necessarily see that at all. So while we could try inducing vomiting again or use activated charcoal at this point (which I am happy to discuss), we don't strictly need to. You can choose to just take things easy and monitor for today. As well to offset any GI upset, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But otherwise you can just monitor her today and we'd expect mild signs if any to settle within 12 -24 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok thank you. Is the charcoal something you can buy at grocery store? Or only a vet office? In case I was wrong about how much she ate. Although I know it couldn’t have been much. What is the amount to cause for more of panic

You are very welcome, my dear.

As I noted its OTC (over the counter) so you can get it at the vet, but you can get it from some pharmacies. Walmart and such places also carry the low dose version which can be used but you'd need to open a bunch of tablets to get enough powder to meet Aspen's dose (53 grams). But that can be used to be safe if you think she had more than a quarter of the bar.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian