Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has come up with some sort of abscess on her toe, it…

Customer Question
My dog has come...

My dog has come up with some sort of abscess on her toe, it came up yesterday though today it is incredibly swollen and pusy. I am worried she is going to get sick. We live in the country and there is no vet available until tomorrow. Am I able to send a photo some how?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She’s very fit and healthy. I have absolutely no idea how it came up

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can you post your photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Poor love, that is very raw and swollen.

With regards ***** ***** this may be secondary to trauma/abrasion of the area but we do need to tread with care as we can see abscesses secondary to foreign bodies (foxtails, grit, awns, etc). Still as this looks quite superficial, we'd want to start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to reduce the bacterial load. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this or cover it with a baby sock (Since we cannot have her licking it as that will make this worse)

Overall, this is quite a severe inflamed infection; so we do need to tread with care. For the weekend, you can use topical care to reduce it and give her some relief but we may need her to her vet as soon as they are open (its not an emergency though) for antibiotics and dog safe pain relief so we can nip this in the bud and make sure there is nothing caught we need removed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Thank you, ***** ***** been cleaning it with a saline solution but I didn’t know how to stop her licking so I will use the baby sock idea. I’ll be booking her in today, it’s getting very sore for her. I feel awful!

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds perfect and hopefully we can just get her on some antibiotics to settle this from the inside out for her. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.