Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog picked up some food off the ground today and he has…

Customer Question
So my dog picked...

So my dog picked up some food off the ground today and he has been execisively drooling for the past 4 hour or so

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

Scotti and hes three years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scotti?

Hes alergic to bees also hes acting pretty normal it seems

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What food was it he picked up off the ground?

Any vomiting or signs of sores in his mouth?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Hello,I he tried to pick up a few things, but I thought I got them all out of his mouth... one had maybe some bone fragments in it...his mouth doesnt seem to be sore and his I gently squeezed around his belly and it seemed ok toohis might be a little pale but I cant tell
He never drools and now when we came back from our walk he leaves a lil puddle of drool when he gets up
its 4:40 where i am and the vet doesnt open till 8
he even ate a little and drank some water perfetly fine and seems as if he wants to eat again

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care. Drooling in dogs like this usually is a nausea sign (even without vomiting) or a sign of oral/throat discomfort. If there was bone in one of those bits he ate, then it could potentially cause either depending on where it may have caught/abraded. With the all in mind, for the moment, we'd want to try some supportive care to see if we can ease this for Scotti.

To start, just to remove any bitter residues or bone fragments caught up in the teeth/gums, try gently flushing his mouth with water to see if we can just remove any irritants that may be in there that you didn't see. After, we can try to reduce nausea by treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset if that is out culprit. Also it is soft so it won't irritate the mouth/throat further.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach but plan to keep a close eye. If the drooling continues despite the above, then we'd want a check once his vet is open so that they can make sure nothing is caught in the mouth/throat that we may need to remove. Of course, if they find he is nauseous (to much so for the antacid), then injectable anti-nausea medication can be used as well to get him settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

ok so I should give me a little bit of an antacid and feed him some of that recomended food?Should I take him to the vet just to be sure?thank you so much, I feel really nervous and I want to be extra safeHe means the world to me

You are very welcome, my dear.

I would use those now to see if we can address/rule out GI upset with this and see how he goes. If he's not 100% by the time his vet opens, then I do think an exam would be ideal so we can just have peace of mind that we don't have a bone fragment stuck in the mouth or irritating the stomach that we may need to address.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**************************************

One more thing, its 5 am where I am and my vet is not open for another 3 hours
how can I verify the dosage and check with the vet?

Hi again,

That is fine, as this doesn't sound like an emergency situation for him. So, I'd just advise keeping an eye and using the approach we discussed. And just to note, you need only check with them if he had known health issues as the link above has the dose you need for the antacids.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

ok thanks so much

You are very welcome,

Have a peaceful night/early morning,

Dr. B.

**************************************

thanks again

:)

**************************************

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.