Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a small breed dog and he was diagnosed with chf in…

Customer Question
I have a small breed...
I have a small breed dog and he was diagnosed with chf in March. He was on Vetmedin but had 2 fainting episodes so it was swapped to Fortekor. His cough went however wheezing increased and yesterday he collapsed twice. Before hand he let out a loud howl. I have checked his gums and all are pink and he’s currently asleep now. - any ideas?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
It happened when he got extremely excited when we came in. It has never happened like that before. He is eating and drinking fine and it lasted for about 15-20 seconds then he came round. Breathing is ok today. We have a stair gate on so he can’t run up and down because he also becomes breathless then
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Why did your vet switch medications? Was it just because he fainted?

No he seen a heart specialist and they said it had progressed and the Fortekor would be better as they could see his heart was skipping a beat at times
He was also coughing a lot more. He still coughs a lot now but it sounds more like a wheeze

Hello again,

Now the reason I asked about the medication change is often we use more than one medication for progressive heart disease. Therefore, if he has been having a change like this, we'd likely need him back on the Vetmedin (as it helps the heart beat better) as well as the Fortekor. As well, if he was reassessed and they heard fluid in the lungs, he may also need to be on a diuretic.

That said, unfortunately there is no rule that says they only can have one condition at a time (it'd be lovely if that were the case) and given what you have described (coughing, wheezing, collapse with excitement) this sounds like Flash may have a degree of tracheal collapse. This is common in small breeds and many live with it without issue. Though in his case, to see it suddenly being an issue suggests that he perhaps has a throat based inflammation (from a mild infection, irritation, etc) or if the heart has enlarged and is starting to compress the trachea. So, while he sounds fairly stable at the moment, we'd want to keep him calm but have him reassessed as soon as his vet is open. They can check for all of the above and start anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics based on exam findings with the trachea. They can also adjust his heart medication if need be at that stage. Finally, just as a means to try to reduce coughing for him and with it his collapse, you can try a non-medicated mild cough suppressant. Often we'll give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be used as often as needed to just soothe the throat and try to reduce any further coughing fits leading to collapse of the trachea and then him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

He is on water tablets 3 times a day and he doesn’t sound like he has any fluid on the lungs. His heart is enlarged on the left hand side. We are trying to keep him calm till the vets open tomorrow. However he still loves to play. Will he be in pain when he collapses

Hello again,

That is fine and I am glad to see that that base is being covered. So, even more so this sounds like we have tracheal collapse (again from recent infection or inflammation or possible further tracheal compression by the heart). So, we are best to keep things calm to reduce collapsing episodes; which are not painful but will likely be a bit scary for him (just as passing out from low oxygen would be for us). And hopefully it will just be a bit of infection or inflammation that we can nip in the bud for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Is there anything that can be done if it is due to an enlarged heart? Can his medication be changed which will help? We was told by the vet that Fortekor plus contained what the Vetmedin has in?
Sorry it’s a 2in1 and will work better

Hi again,

Unfortunately, we cannot reduce heart size once it progresses not even in people. That is why we always monitor these patients and adjust/add treatments as needed to slow that as much as we can. And I'd note that the two drugs are not the same but if he is on the Plus formulation (you only said Fortekor before so I thought you meant the Benazepril only formulation) then he will have Pimobendan on board as well but depending on the dose he may need that adjusted.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Hi Jenni,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Flash. How is everything going?

Dr. B.