Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

The other night Bachey woke me up sounding like he was

Customer Question
The other night Bachey...

The other night Bachey woke me up sounding like he was throwing up when I got up to clean it up there was nothing. Bachey's acting fine was there something stuck in his throat, it was like 3am?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

There was nothing on the carpet by his bed anywhere so I was just wondering what caused that, we were all asleep. No he hasn't eaten anything unusual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Bachey he is 5 years old, short hair collie full breed :-) I vacuum like everyday

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bachey?

Nothing to tel the Vet except that noise like he was throwing up just he wasn't?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has he been able to take food/water and keep it down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Dr. B Howdy I'm a Texan married to an Aussie mate, Bachey's also a Aussie Collie :-) Bachey's eating good, no health problems, for sure is not around anything harmful to eat. Bachey groans while he's sleeping sometimes so he might have been dreaming as I've seen him sleeping legs moving as he's running so I bet he might have been dreaming that caused him to wake up with that noise? As Aussies have NO WORRIES or DRAMA FREE attitude I'm a American worry wart haha thanks for your Vet. knowledge that list you ticked off to me made me think more so all good downunder (-: CHEERS, Steph

Good evening,

I am very glad to hear that Bachey is well since that wee scare and hadn't any of those worrisome signs I asked about. And while it doesn't sound like he had anything caught, it may have been saliva going down the wrong pipe or response to a bit of throat irritation. Of course, do keep an eye on him generally for any coughing, further attempts to vomit, belly discomfort or those other signs I noted. If we were to see those, then a health issue would be a concern and we'd want a check with his vet. But hopefully that won't be the case here. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian