Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate sting and rubberband. He pooped it out last night…

Customer Question
My dog ate sting...

My dog ate sting and rubberband. He pooped it out last night and my vet told me to give a gentle tug on it. It came out. He is pooped today no string. He is eating, drinking fine. However, he is so tired.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Heisman

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Heisman?

7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Heisman?

He has and is being treated for epilepsy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat the string? How long was it?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any straining to pass stool?

I am not exactly when he ate the string as we were away on vacation. I am going to say maybe 4 or 5 days ago. The string was a good 4 inches maybe. No retching, no gagging, he has been licking his lips, no drooling, no vomiting. He has been eating a drinking as normal. His gums are really pink, his gums feel more dey then sticky. I pressed all over his belly and no pain, no whining ect... He has passed stool 2 times since the string came out 2 nights ago. He seems to be passing stool as he nromally does. It didnt take too long for him to get it out.

Hello again,

Now we always need to be careful with string ingestion since it can not just cause blockage but can also cheese wire through the gut in some cases. That said, its positive to hear that he has had no signs even though he ate it days ago. So, its possible he did already pass it or it could be in the stomach.

With this all in mind, we need to take a supportive care and close monitoring approach to this situation. To start, we will want to feed him small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to see where it is is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. At this stage and since he has no signs suggesting there is a string induced problem, we can consider the above steps for him while keeping a close eye. Though if we see any of those other signs, then we'd want him examined +/- x-rayed to assess if we have any risk here. Otherwise we'd hope to use the above to push this through and out the other end over the next24- 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )*

Great! Thanks so much. I will try it.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian