Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is itching. Have her on Apoquel. It works, but, very…

Customer Question
She is itching....

She is itching. Have her on Apoquel. It works, but, very expensive. Is there any other product?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

She is on Trifexis. S

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

So no fleas

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Spayed Female 1 1/2 years old. 28 lbs.
Her name is Ginger
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr G, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Dr G, I'd like to help you out with Ginger. I'm sorry her allergies are troubling!
I'm really glad the Apoquel is helping the itching. It can definitely get expensive for this product and there is no current generic.
Some options you have
1) See if a Cytopoint injection is less expensive then Apoquel. For some dogs it works just as well and may be less expensive. It is meant to be given monthly but some dogs only need it every 8 weeks.
2) If your dog is well controlled, talk to your vet about slowly reducing the amount of Apoquel to the lowest dose that keeps the itching down.
3 Talk to your vet about adding daily fish oil (1200 mg daily of a very good, high quality human fish oil) and maybe a daily antihistamine. These things can reduce itching and reduce the need for them apoqeul.
4) Do you know why your dog to itches? As in, what is she allergic to? Does she have problems all year round vs seasonally? Do you notice certain times it is worse? Perhaps, getting an idea of what the dog is allergic to might help reduce itching in the long run. If you could find out what she is allergic to, it might be more expensive in the beginning for allergy testing but cheaper in the long run.