Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Conjunctivitis, been to the vet twice spent over $500

Customer Question
Conjunctivitis, been to the...

Conjunctivitis, been to the vet twice spent over $500 dollars and she's been given tobrex 0.3% , 3-biotic +h and Apoquel. Still showing systems after being on the medication for three weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

^^

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Conjunctivitis is in the eys eyes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Coco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

When I first got her she had a clogged tear duct, was treated and went right away.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, as a licensed veterinarian with an interest in ophthalmology I am happy to assist you. I am sorry to hear that Coco is having a rough time, this certainly sounds like it's been frustrating for the both of you. Conjunctivitis can be tricky in that it can be persistent. Dogs also can get complicating conditions like corneal ulcers or inflammation of other parts of the eye during treatment. Though it is difficult to definitively say based on a picture, I am concerned based on that picture that Coco may also have inflammation of the eyelids ("blepharitis"). This can go along with the conjunctivitis or can be a reaction to medications, including the tobramycin she is on. Moreover, other eye conditions can look like conjunctivitis or contribute to it, such as conditions like dry eye. Do you know if your vet tested Coco's tear production? Do you know if they stained her eyes to look for corneal ulcers? (put bright yellow/green stain in the eyes)

Thank you for your response, She looks to be producing tears just fine, yes the vet checked her eyes with yellow strain and said they were fine . I called the vet back last night and they said to up the dosage of 3 biotic -h to three times daily. From what I’ve read online it says if the issue doesn’t go away within 3 days she needs something else. I would like to order online to avoid the expensive costs at the vet but it says I need a prescription, can you provide that ? Or will I need to go directly into the vet and pay again? Thanks again
Oh and this morning her eyes looked to have calmed down a bit since I’ve been giving her more of the 3- biotic h. It can be ordered online for $9 or bought from the vet for $50. I have enough to last four days , not sure if that will be enough to beat the infection

You are very welcome. Unfortunately, it would be illegal for me to provide a prescription without seeing her so that is not something I can provide. However, your vet may be able to work with you on this since they have seen her so I don't think it would be wrong to call them again and ask. It may also be worth taking her to a veterinary ophthalmology specialist, as sometimes when these conditions persist it can be difficult for them to resolve and they may have some additional ideas. I would be happy to help you locate a vet eye specialist near you. If you are in the US, you can go to acvo.org and search for one there. If there are no ulcers but continued inflammation of the conjunctiva or other parts of the eye, I would typically recommend a strong anti-inflammatory such as steroids (it sounds like the one medication may have dexamethasone in it, is that correct?- if so, this should do the trick)

If it is cheaper online and your vet has prescribed it to you, they should be able to write a script for you to get it online. Just be sure it really is the same thing- some cheaper versions have additives or different secondary ingredients that can affect efficacy. And always make sure the medication is shipped properly- i.e., is not allowed to get too hot such that the medication is ruined (a problem I have noted when ordering medications online sometimes).

ya this wasn't helpful, you didn't provide any information that was new. Ill be deleting this and requesting a refund

I am sorry you feel that way. All we can do here is provide information, without seeing your dog any more than that is illegal. I am happy to answer additional questions if you have any and am happy to help you locate a veterinary ophthalmologist, as previously stated. It sounds like that is a logical next step for Coco, if you are concerned she is not getting better with your vet's recommendations. As also previously stated, it sounds like Coco needs to be on anti-inflammatories, so checking the medications to see if there are steroids in them would be helpful. Best of luck.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian