Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 year old Beagle-Rottweiler Mix vomited her food and it…

Customer Question
My 15 year old...

My 15 year old Beagle-Rottweiler Mix vomited her food and it looked all brown. Then I found out she ate 5 large squares of dark chocolate. She then drank lots of water which she also threw up. Now she still is not feeling well and is all weak. What can I do for her? What and when should she again eat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name?

Tessie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tessie?

She is healthy otherwise, never sick. But she is drinking lots of water.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...

I need to know how many ounces of dark chocolate your dog consumed and also your dog's weight...

You should be able to figure this out by looking at the package....and doing the math...

are you there?

She weighs 50 lbs and ate 50 gr of dark chocolate

is that 50 grams?

no phone call, just please tell me what and when to feed her again.

At that level of ingestion your dog should not get chocolate toxicity....that is the main thing to worry about...

do not feed any food until tomorrow am.....

and she threw up part of it so your dog should be ok...but when a dog eats chocolate first thing to worry about is toxicty...

can I answer any other questions?

Thank you. Will she be able to eat her regular food?
She eats a special diet because she does not process protein properly.

what is her special diet?

Royal Canin Renal Support.
She seems to be shivering and her legs are shaking while walking and laying down.

so she has renal disease?

sorry kidney disease?

She is fine when on this diet.

If your dog has kidney disease then getting rid of the remaining chocolate can be a problem.....and the shaking is worrisome for chocolate intoxication....I have to recommend that you take your dog to the ER and allow a doctor to assess her in person....

Can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

are you there?

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian