Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Swollen area between anus and scrotum in 7 year old

Customer Question
Swollen area between anus...

Swollen area between anus and scrotum in 7 year old chihuahua

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Trouble

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trouble?

He's been acting like himself but at times wants to be secluded

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Are you able to take a picture of the area?

I noticed it really today but he hasn't been acting like himself for about a week.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she having any issues with using the bathroom? Will he let you take a picture of the area? One possible reason for the swelling could be associated with an anal gland. Smaller dogs can commonly have an impacted anal gland that can cause discomfort

What is the treatment? I am at work and my dog is at home so I cannot take a picture.

Oh ok. If it is an anal gland issue then the treatment usually involves having the anal glands expressed if it is not too painful. If there is an infection present then the treatment may also involve an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory to take down some of the swelling.

Ok thank you. Which type of antibiotic are used?

I usually prescribe the antibiotic Clavamox if I am dealing with an anal gland infection since it tends to work the best for those in my experience.

Let me know if you have any further questions

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian