Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Maltese cross bringing up bile that is red in colour.

Customer Question
Maltese cross bringing up...

Maltese cross bringing up bile that is red in colour

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Malteze cross. Has been bring up bile, but it has turned red. It is not straight blood,so it has a pinkish in colour. Usually a very health dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Not her usual happy dog, but it seems it is a stomach ache . ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nothing really except she is wanting to do everything she usually does like jumping up on our couch, but n

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Eat OK last night , this morning although she took her Smacko as usual she didn't eat it

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?

Gidget , 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gidget?

Not really, but she usually is a bright ready to for a walk dog, but I don't think she would want to today

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I would be happy to help you!

The pinkish colour to the vomit is in fact due to a very small amount of blood.

The blood is coming from ruptured vessels in the stomach lining (due to pressure of vomiting)

When is the lats time she vomited?

Paul

30 mins agp
Not at this time, but if you have basic suggestions at this stage, this would be much appreciated

Thanks and I do

I would not feed any more today (you are 16 hours ahead I believe)

Water in small amounts often is fine

Buy some Zantac and give 1.0 mg/kg by mouth three times a day. This will settle the stomach.

IF vomiting stops then we can start with cooked hamburger and rice tomorrow AM

IF vomiting persists then we need to have her examined today.

Make sense?

Paul

Thank you so much , we will try what you have suggested. Regards Janet

You are very welcome

I am standing by for updates.

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid :)

Paul

Hi Janet,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul