Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Pete is 15. She has lost the use of her back legs. She is…

Customer Question
My Pete is 15...

My Pete is 15. She has lost the use of her back legs. She is almost totally blind. She has a heart murmur. On Monday she threw up and has not eaten since. She is now just lying around. She still drinks water and urinates. Do you think it is time to put her down?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A Pekingese dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Pekingese?

She does cry every once in awhile.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Sorry to hear about your dog? How long has this been going on for?

She has not eaten since Monday

Okay that has been a long time for not wanting to eat. Has she been gradually declining over time? Usually when deciding when to know when it is time you have to look at her quality of life. Usually if they stop doing there 3 favorite things that is an indication that it may be time. It sounds like many of the conditions she has may have continued to progress to the point where I believe it is time and she may be telling you this by her not eating.