Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dod is severely constapted he is a 62 pound mix breed.

Customer Question
My dod is severely...

My dod is severely constapted he is a 62 pound mix breed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Kody

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kody?

Has been tramadol 50 mg for 3 days

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question
I am so sorry about Kody.
I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
tramadol can definitely cause constipation issues. Here are a few suggestions.
1. Lowest effective dose of tramadol. Not sure why he is taking it but if he does not need it right now then maybe hold off or decrease the dose.
2. Increased water consumption. Add plenty of water to his food if he will eat it that way.
3. Miralax. This is a human product that can work for softening stool. For his weight I would recommend 1 tbsp twice daily. Don't over do it of course.That is a good place to start. If he is not getting better and really struggling he may need to go in for an enema or at least for an exam. Keep me posted.
I hope that helps. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
This conversation will stay open for about a week if you have any more questions.
Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Hi Tim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole