Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has an open sore near his rectum, I put sulfardine on…

Customer Question
My dog has an...

My dog has an open sore near his rectum, I put sulfardine on it but it is still ozzing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 8 years old, she is a rat terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?

She is very healthy I think when she was going tinkle she hit a sharp pine cone

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. It sounds like Bailey has a wound in a pretty uncomfortable place! This may just be a simple, superficial wound that will heal in a few days on its' own, but there is certainly the potential for it to be a more complicated problem. One of the most common issues I see with little dogs and wounds in this area, is an infected and ruptured anal gland. This can be quite painful and requires antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to heal. In light of the fact you are still seeing it oozing, I think this may be best if you have your veterinarian take a look and determine if Bailey needs some help beyond the silvadene cream. If possible, try to have her seen today, and best of luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gwen