Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keeps coughing and it's not really a cough like she…

Customer Question
My dog keeps coughing...

My dog keeps coughing and it's not really a cough like she is trying to get something out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

But like she is pushing out a lot of air

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Jay and she is 16

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
My parents say she started doing this when she was sick one day and my dad gave her treats because he felt bad for her. She doesn't cough when she is alone but coughs all day when we are around. I am worried that it is causing a lot of stress on her body to cough all day.
I have suspicions that because she is old, it may have gotten to her brain in some sort of 'engraved' way that she must get treats by coughing and she can't switch to other states of mind and be free from the thought of 'cough and get treats'. I am no expert so this is just a suspicion of course. I would really appreciate some help.
I have videos but when i click on add files it will not let me so I can send it to an email address for more clues to what is going on
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Is the cough harsh or soft? Worse with excitement?

Any nasal discharge? What color? From one or both nostrils?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Can you post your videos on YouTube &paste the link here for me to check?