Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog Coco teats seem misshapen as well when the pups try…

Customer Question
Hello. My dog Coco...

Hello. My dog Coco teats seem misshapen as well when the pups try to nurse she seats them away. She will let me expel the nipple.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

Are cocos teat suppose to be hard

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She doesn’t have one spot specifically, she just seems to be uncomfortable and some teats are hard.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Coco and she is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

One puppy passed away this morning ( very small).

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

Do you still need help with this matter? If so, it is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How old are the puppies?

Was she examined after the birth?

Does she seem to be taking care of the pups?

Are the teets very red, have scratches, etc on them?

Puppies are 3 days
She was not examined after puppies
Yes she is taking care of them
Tweets are not red and no sore. The bottom two milk sacs seem hard. Coco does not like it when the puppies nurses from them. I did put warm-hot compresses on her stomach. Coco seems less antsy now.
I am beginning to think I am being schemed. I have never had any answers given. I continue to be asked for more money. I need help to stop the charges.

Hi.

I'm sorry but for some reason your question is not showing up as having a response on my list and I just noticed you had responded when I was going through my list of questions. I will report this as a bug in the system. It is not a scam at all as I have worked with Just

answer since 2006.

It is quite normal for the last two breasts in the back to get more milk than the rest of the teats.. As a result they get full and uncomfortable. You should actually encourage the pups to nurse from those teats to keep the milk flowing and help prevent them from getting engorged. While the warm compresses may seem to help, it actually will encourage milk production and thus she may get even more engorged as a result. Cool compresses will help a little with pain relief but getting the pups to nurse from those teats first will help relieve the pressure . Since they are engorged, you might try relieving some of the pressure by milking the teats yourself first. Also be sure the nails of the pups are not sharp. You can trim the nails now and keep them trimmed every week so they are not so super sharp.

Keeping the nails trimmed will help stop scratches which potentially could allow bacteria to enter the teat leading to mastitis (breast infection). Milking the breast will also help leave the skin less susceptible to scratches as well. I will warn you now that these same teats will get rock hard again when you wean the pups as the milk use decrease but the production does not. It usually takes a few days for the production of milk to adjust to the amount the pups are actually eating so in the next couple of days, she should start producing just the right amount of milk that the pups need. The first few days the body is just producing milk enough for a large litter and as soon as the body realizes that not all of it is being used, it will naturally reduce the amount being produced.

I would keep an eye out for the following symptoms such as redness and inflammation of the breast. This might indicate mastitis. While it is easy to treat, it can be deadly if not treated quickly. Mastitis is caused by bacteria entering the nipple and gaining the upper hand leading to infection which often can enter the blood stream and thus infect other parts of your female as her immune system is already under the stress of having pups and nursing.

You may notice these additional symptoms depending on how far the infection has spread. They are a rectal temperature higher than 103F, poor appetite, low energy level and dying puppies (due to bacteria in the milk). Of course, other conditions can cause these same symptoms, but mastitis in the most likely cause in a nursing dog.

Puppies should be taken away from the mother immediately if she develops mastitis and not allowed to nurse, as the milk is bacteria filled and can kill the puppies. Your female should be taken to the Vet immediately for treatment if an infection occurs. Here is a site on Mastitis:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/mastitis.htm

Here are some other things you should look for. If your dog has intense abdominal pain, pale gums and tongue, sudden drop in temperature or collapse she needs to be seen as soon as possible as she may have uterine torsion.

If your dog has a Green, smelly discharge from her vulva, fever, loss of appetite and listlessness, it is possible she has a uterine infection due to bacteria or a retained placenta and needs to be seen immediately. It is likely she has metritis which is a uterine infection.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/metritis-in-dogs/

If your dog is experiences muscle weakness, muscle spasms, tremors or seizures, limb paralyses, she needs to be seen now as it is possible she has eclampsia. Calcium supplements, Tums, cottage cheese or goat’s milk may help, but it might not reverse the symptoms quickly enough.

Here is a site with more information on this.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/eclampsia-in-dogs/

Again, I am sorry they did not notify me of a response and I will report this as a bug in the system.