Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog fell down stairs this afternoon. She isn’t limping,

Customer Question
Hi, my dog fell...

Hi, my dog fell down stairs this afternoon. She isn’t limping, but is having trouble getting up the stairs and she won’t let me touch her. If petted, she screams. She’s eating normally but acting out of it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Maya, 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maya?

She’s 4 lbs and a senior.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Maya is in pain after falling down some stairs. It sounds like the pain is either in one of the legs or possibly the lower spine or pelvis since she is having trouble standing. Some dogs will even stand with a slight haunched posture if there is pain in the spine. The best thing to do at this point is to not have her move as much as possible, rest, and treat with an anti-inflammatory medication to resolve pain. Aspirin can be helpful. Then, assess again in 12 hours, and if needed, get x-rays performed if the pain is still severe.