Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a cooked turkey bone

Customer Question
My dog ate a cooked turkey bone
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the bone can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up but luckily turkey and chicken bones are hollow so hopefully it will be digested and pass without incident. That being said there are a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed

1.) Feed 3 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the bone coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Bland yet bulking diet tomorrow of white rice and lean boiled meat
6.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the bone through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am onilne another 30 minutes tonight

Good morning I wanted to check in on Kali to see how she is doing since you asked your question yesterday? Has there been any vomiting? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kali. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian