Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Severe nasal congestion and sneezing. We’ve been to 3 vets…

Customer Question
Severe nasal congestion and...

Severe nasal congestion and sneezing. We’ve been to 3 vets numerous medications and nothin working. She always had health issues and we’ve spen 1000’d Of dollars and can no longer afford expensive tests.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Miyah and she 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Miyah?

We’ve been through it all. They want to do a nasal scope for 1500. And we don’t have the money. We just want to keep her comfortable and possibly free of mucus. Have also had Allergy testing done. She allergic to many things which we avoid

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 5 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience.

Chronic rhinitis such as this can be a terribly frustrating problem. Sounds like you have done all the testing possible without endoscopy. I assume radiographs were taken (or some form of imaging) to rule out a tumor/polyp and/or foreign object in the nose. I also assume a sedated exam and flushing of the nasal cavity was attempted. These are the easy steps; the less expensive ones.

I have had many clients over the years arrive at the exact point you are and face the same daunting decision. It is expensive to scope and there is a high chance of not receiving any information more than you already have- a suspicion of immune-mediated or allergic chronic rhinitis. The scoping primarily can aid in ruling out cancer, mites, and foreign object for certain.

What options do you have for treatment at this point without further testing? Some dogs have improvement of their rhinitis symptoms with Metacam and Azithromycin or doxycycline. The azithromycin and doxy have some antiinflammatory side effects that seem to improve the condition. Some do better with prednisone. Inhaled steroids may work as well. Another option is nebulization, possibly using an antibiotic such as gentamicin for a 10-30 days course.

I was speaking with one of the internal medicine specialist at NC State College of Veterinary medicine a few months ago about a chronic rhinitis case that we could not improve and she mentioned there is a newer study with mucomyst, although they were only having equivocal results. Your vet might be able to call your closest veterinary teaching hospital to ask about newer therapies that are being tried.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified