Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1 year old female doberman hahard lump on the inside of…

Customer Question
My 1 year old female...
My 1 year old female doberman hahard lump on the inside of the left side of her lower neck. It is not easily distinguishable when she looks straight up or turns her head to the right. It dsn’t cause her any pain when it is manipulated. I am concerned that is may be some form of cancer, but it is funny how it seems to move along with her depending on where she is looking...like it stretches with the muscle. a few weeks ago she had a superficial tumor Or cyst removed above her tail. I am taking her to see the vet next week but in the meantime I would like to hear some opinions based off my description. Thank you
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you able to get a picture of the mass? When was the last time she had a vaccine?

I cannot get a picture as I can only feel it when I press my hand into her neck. It feels like it is on a tendon or her windpipe. She had her rabies vaccination about 2 months ago, and that is the last vaccine she has had.

Okay thanks for the additional information. How long has it been there for? Do you know where they gave the last rabies vaccine. Since she is a young dog skin cancer is not that common in younger dogs. Other things I would want to rule out is some type of reaction to a vaccine or a over reaction to a bug bite.

I believe she received the rabies vaccine in her shoulder area. she has had the lump for almost a month. It does not seem to be changing in size. It almost feels like a swollen thyroid.

Since it is on the inside of the neck another possibility that it could be is an enlarged lymph node which could indicate some type of infection or inflammation present . If it is staying the same size that could be a good sign and it may mean that it may be benign. Based on its location they may be able to get a sample of it by a needle to confirm a diagnosis.