Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My yorkie is peeing blood, she doesn’t seem to have any pain…

Customer Question
My yorkie is peeing...

My yorkie is peeing blood, she doesn’t seem to have any pain or anything and still act her normal hyper self. But it’s a little concerning that her urine comes out very dark red and she been urinating to many times! My mom is not reachable as this is her dog and I’m taking care of her for a few days. Want to know if this is an UTI Air something more serious!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear that this little girl is having blood in her urine. There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding and unfortunately fairly common in her breed
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding. Even if she is not clinically showing you pain this is likely if there are stones or a uti

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine):

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/hematuria-blood-in-urine-in-dogs

If she begins to strain to urinate without production or is restless/ panting then please consider a veterinary er asap as this might indicate a urinary obstruction which is a true emergency.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am going to be taking a dinner break in just a few moments

Good morning I wanted to check in on your Yorkie to see how she is doing since you asked your question yesterday? Were you able to get to your veterinarian today? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman