Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 year old mini terrier may have eaten part of a dead…

Customer Question
Hello!, my 3 year...

Hello!, my 3 year old mini bull terrier may have eaten part of a dead iguana. She has been panting, not wanting to lay down and temoring a bit. no appetite and no pooping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Layla

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Layla?

She has bad teeth and very dry eye. She is a resuce and came to me a mess. She is being treated with ointments for the eye.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much did she eat? How old was it?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

It was bout 3 days ago she got some of it. My standard bull terrier killed it and ate most it. He is no longer sick from it. Layla is 13 years old and I do not know how much of it she ate.I hd to treat her for this before. I live in a devestated area from hurricane Irma so there is not emeregency vet care available last night. I gave her Pepal Bismal and a dose of Miralax. About 3 am her stomach finally started gurggling. It is not as tender today. She has noteaten in 24 hours. She has been outside most of the day wondering around.

Hello again,

Now in a situation like this, we tend to see signs for a range of reasons. We can have a bacterial gastritis component but also there is risk of blockage. So, we do need to tread with care as we use supportive care. And I have to say some steps you are using are fine but others need to be adjusted. Specifically, we'd stop the Pepto Bismol as the salicylic component can irritate the stomach (causing nausea, appetite loss) and also it is more of an anti-diarrheal (which could be causing constipation). Instead, for nausea/gurgling, use an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)] instead. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Otherwise, we want Layla on small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (your Miralax or we can use OTC cat hairball medication lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting any non-digestible bits slipping through the gut. And if she cannot be tempted, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and we can add those supplements to try to get everything passing.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. In this situation, we do need to adjust your treatment (especially as that may be why we have no appetite or stools) while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs or we cannot , then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate whether there is any risk. As well, her vet can start antibiotics if there is concern post-exam of a bacterial gastritis from this and injectable anti-nausea medication +/- appetite stimulants .

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Yesterday she gragually came back to normal. She is fine this am.

Lovely, I am very glad to hear that she has and we'd hope at this stage to see no relapse. Of course, do monitor another 24 hours to be safe and we can use the above as needed for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.