Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12YR Portuguese Water Dog with severe osteroarthritis and a…

Customer Question
12YR Portuguese Water Dog...

12YR Portuguese Water Dog with severe osteroarthritis and a thyroid deficiency. We have addressed these problems and dog is taking medication for thyroid and tramadol plus Galliprant for arthritis.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Has been having a seizure a month for past 3 months. Just had a mild one and wondered if it is caused by low blood sugar from tramadol or something else. He is breathing fast and hard now, about a hour after seizure. He had 2 - 50 mg tramadol at 9:30 and seiqure occurred about 2:30. Is breathing this hard normal and could seiqure be caused by tramadol, low blood sugar. Had blood work done 2 months ago and all was normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Hankie Pankie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

In excellent health, except for age-related loss of vision and hearing. Is grossly overweight at 90 lbs. But, eats well, goes to bathroom fine and still is very playful with our other dog a standard poodle. He is dog aggressive and always has been since we got him 10 years ago.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

In humans tramadol has been linked to seizure activity but not clearly defined in dogs. Personally I do not dispense tramadol to dogs that have a seizure history and prefer gabapentin for pain management with the galliprant. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain, is very safe for senior pets as well as having no high end dose treatment if we need to adjust based on progression of disease. Lastly, it is used in people to treat seizures so is safe in seizuring pets

I wouldn't advise changing anything without involving your veterinarian but please talk to him/ her about this addition and potentially tapering off the tramadol. I had one patient on tramadol with seizure history (from another vet) and we removed the medication as a precaution because it simply isn't worth the risk with so many pain management alternatives out there

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad you were able to view my responses. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good morning I wanted to check in on Hanky Pankie to see if there were any additional seizures last night? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!