Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 1 1/2 year old japanese chin who's behavior has

I have a 1 1/2...
I have a 1 1/2 year old japanese chin who's behavior has seriously changed in the last 2 days. at first, we thought she was just anxious because furniture was moved around to accommodate thanksgiving guests. she started crying yesterday morning so I went to pick her up and she screamed in pain. Ever since then she's been really low energy, won't jump up on the sofa, the bed, and is having trouble going up stairs we initially thought she was constipated because she hadn't pooped since Wednesday and I'm hoping that's still the case she's eating just fine but still whines when you go to lift her and won't jump up on anything. She's young so she typically has a lot of energy it seems to be hard for her to become comfortable as well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Minnie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?
Customer: She went into heat 8 weeks ago and we have an unfixed male dog. We don't believe they mated
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
thank you

I am so very sorry to hear about your little Minnie. My primary concern from your description is an injury to the back or neck, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy, even in one that is as young as Minnie. In addition, posturing to defecate can be painful and cause constipation or reduced defecation

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back/ shoulders/ neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort because they too will cry out if picked up a certain way due to back pain.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
how is this treated if this is the case?

Pain management is key, if available in your area alternative care such as acupuncture and laser therapy can work wonders. In more severe cases (paralysis, paraparesis) surgery is warranted

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am going to be taking a dinner break in about 10 minutes unless I can assist with any additional questions?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Minnie is doing well. We ended up going to the emergency vet the other night who, based on her symptoms, agreed that she likely has a bulging disc. We followed up with our regular vet who concurred. Both suggested 6 weeks strict cage rest and we've all been doing our best to follow doctor's orders. The exception is when we're sitting on the sofa or during bed time. Minnie has been getting up early in the morning and has been crying for us to let her out since she's all alone downstairs in her cage. My husband moved the mattress in our guest bedroom to the floor and sleeps with Minnie while I sleep with our other dog in the master bedroom and this seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for all of your help! You were spot on with that diagnosis!

Aww, that's great he is keeping her company :)

Thanks so much for the update!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian