Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Drooling and lethargic. Sadie and she's 8 months. No,

Customer Question
Drooling and lethargic Veterinarian's...

Drooling and lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Sadie and she's 8 months

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear that Sadie is lethargic and drooling excessively today.

Drooling can be a sign of nausea but it can also be a sign of oral pain due to an infected tooth or a foreign body caught between her teeth, on the roof of her mouth or in the back of her throat. If she is not current on her vaccines then nausea due to a contagious infection is very possible.

Sometimes it is a sign of an oral tumor, although that is less likely in such a young dog. Since he is a younger pup nausea due to organ failure is possible, but also less likely unless she ingested a toxin.

It can also be due to a nerve problem that is making it difficult for her to control her tongue or close her mouth properly. If she is able to drink then that is less likely.

Finally it can also be a response to eating a bitter bug or plant piece. If it comes along with facial swelling or hives it could be related to an allergic reaction.

I do recommend rinsing out her mouth with cool water several times.

I know that may have you looked in her mouth but sometimes it takes a very close look under sedation to find the problem. If she will let you examine the inside her mouth again closely for swelling, reddened areas or any sign or trauma or a foreign body.

You can give her a dose of an acid reducer to try and settle her stomach in case this is related to nausea. Either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and could help settle her stomach. These are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

A couple hours after one of the acid reducers is given you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick.

If that goes well then late today or tomorrow morning start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 plain, boiled, white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then once she is eating well, active and not drooling start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back over a period of 5 to 7 days.

If she is a large breed dog and is attempting to vomit but unable to do so, her belly looks at all distended or she won't lay down and settle or she is pawing at her mouth or unable to drink water normally then I recommend he see a veterinarian immediately as this can also be a sign of bloat, a rare occurrance but life threatening if allowed to progress, or something stuck in her mouth.

If her drooling and lethargy continue in spite of using an acid reducer and a bland diet, or she starts vomiting, then she should see a veterinarian for an examination, some blood tests to look for underlying metabolic disease, possibly sedation to look closely in her mouth and take dental radiographs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara