Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My vet called to say my 11 yr old Boston has a weak positive…

Customer Question
My vet called to...

My vet called to say my 11 yr old Boston has a weak positive for heart worms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Rocco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocco?

He has no other complications my partner is by side himself since in last year we have lost a Boston to kidney failure age 14, and two English bulldogs age 14. They were brother and sister.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Rocco today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Has Rocco been taking heartworm preventative medication?

Was this the only one test taken or was it retested by any other method?

Preventative on and off. Not monthly. Our vet did an initial blood test that came back as s weak positive. They want me to come in for additional test tomorrow st 1pm. What do they mean by weak positive?

The test for heartworms looks for the presence of antigens that have formed when heartworms are present. It is a color change test and as such is very subjective. While the tests are very sensitive, false negative and false positive test results can occur and unexpected test results should be followed by retesting with a different test or confirmation by a reference laboratory.

Here is more information from the American Heartworm Society.

LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian