Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My vet gave my 20 pound dog 10 ml of prednisone twice a day…

Customer Question
My vet gave my...

My vet gave my 20 pound dog 10 ml of prednisone twice a day for IVDD he now is passing blood in his stool and I cant get in touch with doctor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sammy 9

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today and your dog has some gi upset today which is potentially a result of the prednisone administration. I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am just pissed because when I asked the question the “ assistant” texted me to pay 5.00 to continue and I was charged 19.00. So this is bullshit because I didn’t not click accept on my PayPal.

I apologize, I will send the question to customer service as this is not my area of expertise.

Is there anything I can do for you before I take this step? The question will be locked for several hours as they figure out the discrepancy and want to ensure you don't need anything from me first

I want a refund I didn’t authorize any subscription I X’d out of the screen and it still charged me

OK well I will send the question to customer service. Good luck to you