Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 11 year old dog is walking all the time standing in

Customer Question
My 11 year old...

My 11 year old dog is walking all the time standing in corners doesn't have good balance

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No we have also saw her shake her head a few times and doesn't pay att to us when we call her name

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Ta Ta

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.

Ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and TaTa today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

When a pet experiences sudden loss of balance and ataxia (weak and uncoordinated walking) one of the first things to rule out is vestibular disease. The vestibular system is one that controls the sense of balance and is located in the brain. The vestibular nerve, which exits the brain travels through the inner ear, so an inner ear infection can be one cause of irritation to the nerve and can lead to vestibular symptoms. I would especially be concerned about this since she is shaking her head. A brain lesion, like inflammation or even a tumor can also be a cause. There is a condition know as idiopathic vestibular disease in which all of the symptoms show up acutely, but there is no underlying pathology noted. The good news about the latter condition is that it tends to resolve on it's own in usually a week or so. Here is a link with more information about this condition. LINK HERE

If it is idiopathic vestibular disease that TaTa is dealing with, the treatment is supportive. There are anti-motion sickness medications that can be prescribed that may offer some relief as well. I would definitely have her evaluated by your veterinarian for this to make sure there is nothing else going on like an ear infection and so that the appropriate medications can be prescribed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian