Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I rescued a french bulldog, female, 8 months old. I have…

Customer Question
I rescued a french...

I rescued a french bulldog, female, 8 months old. I have always had large male dogs and have 3 at home. All dogs are fixed. We brought the girl home and she was from a very bad breeding situation, lived in a concrete kennel her whole life. We tried using a crate for potty training but she immediately pees and poops in it and rolls in it as soon as you put her in it, no matter how many times we just had her outside, on a leash, to make sure she goes to the bathroom. I figured it was an anxiety related behavior so we tried having her just in the kitchen at night and she continues to defecate and urinate all over. We tired essential oils on her collar and behind her ears, relaxation music, different toys, and rescue remedy... nothing works. We let her come up in our room to see if it was more separation anxiety two nights ago and she went through the whole night with no accidents.. I thought we solved the issue. Well last night when she was on our bed she decided to poop and pee not only on the bed and roll in it, but directly on my husband and I as well. I dont know what else to do.. She has been fully vet checked, xrays, urinalysis, ultrasound, and blood work. There is nothing medically to explain the behavior. What else can I try?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Barklee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barklee?

Not that I can think of. I do own my own pet store and she comes with me to the store everyday since we have gotten her. She does show aggression when other dogs are coming in the store, but doesnt show it to my dogs at home and she did try to bite my daughter, but again there was a toy involved and i know this is all an adjustment period and anxiety related behaviors.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
11/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Still the same. I am really frustrated. I don't know what to do. She is the sweetest dog but just continues to urinate and defecate whenever she is anxious or upset.

How long have you had her?

Was the kennel she lived in indoors or out?

Have you tried any prescription medication for anxiety yet?

Has a thundershirt been tried or DAP collar?

We have had her a month.
The kennel was an outside kennel. Just on concrete slab. Puppy mill type situation. She was a rescue through my vet.
I have only done essential oils (Lavender, peppermint, and T-Away) and we also tried Benadryl.
We have tried a thunder shirt but have not tried DAP.She already wears a collar and a seresto collar so it would be a lot to have a third collar.

It may be worth moving to a harness and trying the DAP collar before going to prescription anxiety medications. That said, it is worth trying for her.

How often is she being fed and watered at this time?
Have you tried feeding her and watering her at specific times to gauge her bowel movements and urination?
Is there anywhere she will urinate and defecate religiously every time she's asked?

She is fed twice a day. Once around 7 am and then again around 2 pm. She is at my pet store with me during the day, so I started feeding her earlier to see if it changed any bowel habits and it does not. She will let us know whenever she has to go outside. She has water all day and sits by the door when she has to go out. She is then let out again 2-3 times between 6:30 and 11 pm. She has never had an accident at the store. The second she is left by herself at home she will go to the bathroom. She does not do it in the store. The other night was the first time she pooped on my husband and I in the bed. She has done it before when my daughter and her were playing in her room and when my daughter went downstairs she pooped on the bed by the time my daughter got back.She can not be put in a crate for any period of time or she goes. Even if I just took her out and she pooped, she will immediately poop and pee if I try to put her in a crate to feed her. I have three large male dogs (Golden, Mastiff X, and Great Dane X) so I separate them all to feed since the range from 3 yr to 14 yr old. Whenever I have to leave the house I have to keep her locked in the kitchen and I leave my older golden with her so she is not alone. She will still poop and pee everywhere.Whenever I take her out I always say "go potty" and she will go. She is rewarded with treats every time.

You have a strong case for separation anxiety here with her going to the bathroom anytime she's left alone. We should hope having an accident in bed with you and your husband may have been a stress event, as well.

I would try the DAP collar first. Move her to a harness for a short while, as needed, to keep her from having to wear 3 collars. If this doesn't help within 5-7 days, I would then discuss medication like Sileo being used for SA: http://www.sileodogus.com/index.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiAxuTQBRBmEiwAAkFF1j68JGoNsMuKFGXA4QzreTOGV3Uj8sL2vjmnF_Is5vo-M7AbJro9WhoCQkkQAvD_BwE or an oral medication Prozac, Buspar, Xanax, Sertraline, Paxil, etc.

It may take the better part of a few months to get her on the right dosage and right medication for her needs, if she requires oral medication. Once she has been fully established in your home and has a strong routine, you may be able to wean her to a lower dose or off of the medication entirely and still keep the same benefit of changed behavior.

Checking in. How is your girl doing today?

No change. We even tried a diaper on her tonight and she just messed in the diaper. Very frustrated.

I'm sorry to hear. When your vet opens in the morning, I would recommend discussing the DAP and behavioral medications. It sounds like since she's been a rescue through them that they have an intimate knowledge of what you've been experiencing at home with her.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse