Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's pretty lethargic. He has been eating and drinking as…

Customer Question
He's pretty lethargic....

He's pretty lethargic. He has been eating and drinking as well as having two BM and uriinating. His penis inside the sheath seems really rigid- not sure what is going on. He's 11, a Golden Retriever

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Riley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?

He just saw the vet last week for shots (rabies and the one to prevent the cough that is contagious but he really doesn't interact with other dogs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: BestFriendsVet, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Vaino

Hi- do you have any thoughts on what is causing his lethargy? It also looks like his hips are sore- he's not overweight (53lbs) and just got a good checkup last week from our vet.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Riley is not feeling well.

Most likely Riley has suffered an injury to a disc in his back or has aggravated an already present arthritis. This is very common in older retrievers because of their conformation. Since Riley does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This could also explain the penis issue because it is neurologic. This can happen when he jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Riley is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

He just looked like he didn't want to get up this morning. Last night we had a house full of people and he was VERY subdued which is not like him- he's usually super excited to meet everyone... yes, this could be the cause as he may have slipped on our hardwood floors which he's done before. Is it ok to give him a baby aspirin (81 mg)?

Baby aspirin is only 81 mg and if Riley is over 40 pounds, he will need a regular aspirin...dose is 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs as long as he has something in his stomach. Lots of people can be stressful on the older dogs...Good luck! Riley sounds like a good guy!

He is a very sweet boy- also- since we are in CA and we have med marijuana, could we get him some CBD oil as well? would that help (I know it helps us with aches and pains).

I am not sure about that with dogs....it probably would not hurt but I know THC in larger amounts can be toxic to dogs. Check the dose....check this LINK

ok- thank you. other than the aspirin, how can our vet determine if he slipped a disc and what can we do about it in the meantime? just let him rest? Will it go back in by itself or does it need to be popped in or massaged in?

The next step is xrays to determine if the disc is unstable and other medications and/or surgery would be required. In most cases, this pain is from the inflammation and once that is resolved, Riley will go back to normal since there is no movement of the disc....merely inflammation....hope that helps...

Thank you

You are very welcome...you are doing the best for your precious Riley and he will do well I am sure. Keep up the good work and get ahold of your vet if this persists. A daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store will also help with Riley's arthritis...just sayin'....:-)